Loch Tay and River Tay Canoe Expedition
The Tay carries the highest flow of water in Scotland, and is a Scottish classic
- Loch Tay and the River Tay is ‘Scottish classic’.
- Suitable for competent paddlers with previous experience.
- This trip offers everything for the experienced paddler: Canoe instruction, stunning scenery, grade 2 – 3 rapids, canoe sailing, camp fire cookery and wild camping.
Included in cost: All specialist equipment and instruction. On the expedition all food and drinks will be provided. Also included – your last night’s accommodation, evening meal (drinks will not be included in this) and breakfast the following morning. Transport back to start point.
The canoe expedition will be a 5 day paddling journey from Killin to Dunkeld and it’ll take us through Perthshire’s beautiful and diverse countryside.
Loch tay is fringed by mountains, with the Ben Lawers range filling the horizon to the north. It’s 24km long, and is a good 2 days paddling. We also might be able to canoe sail some of the loch depending on wind conditions. It gives us plenty of time to recap on skills previously learnt, and go through additional moving water skills in preparation for the next part of our journey.
We join the river Tay at Kenmore and from there we have an additional 3 days to paddle to our end point – Dunkeld.
The River Tay carries the highest flow in Scotland, and is a Scottish classic. On our journey we will encounter some grade 2 rapids along its course, and a grade 3 (The famous Grandtully rapid) that can easily be portaged if required or necessary!
The Tay can be paddled in almost any water, and for much of the year tends to be high when others have lost their water.
We will wild camp for 4 nights, and then stay in a hotel for our last night to celebrate the end of our journey.
Click on the following link for an Example Expedition Menu
- Meet at our Hotel in Killin on Sunday 7th May at 9.30am.
- 5 days paddling from Sunday – Thursday. Wild camping in the evenings.
- On Thursday evening, we will return back to Killin and stay at the Hotel, were we will be spending the night to celebrate the end of our journey.
- We will depart for home the following morning (Friday) after a hearty breakfast!
Regarding payment, we only require a 25% deposit to be paid on booking, and the remaining balance is be paid 3/4 weeks before the trip departure date.
Once clients have booked, we send a payment invoice receipt accordingly, email a recommended kit list ( some items of equipment we can provide), finalise/confirm meeting instructions, and advise on transport options too.
Hope you can join us!
- Activity Grade:Moderate / Difficult
- Ages:Minimum age 18 years.
- Suitability:Previous moving water experience required
- Time:Sunday 7th May – Friday 12th May 2017 (5 days canoeing)
- Where to meet: Killin, Loch Tay (click for google map)
- What to wear:Check our Kit Lists
- Price:£535 per person
- All children under 18yrs must be accompanied by an adult.
- Availability:Please use our availability calendar below, if you can’t find a date that suits you please give us a call!