Fish and Feather
Food is the cornerstone of any outdoor adventure, camping trip or expedition”
On this one day course you will learn how to dress, prepare and cook both birds and fish over an open fire
Locally sourced trout will be provided for you to clean and fillet. Simple knife and whittling techniques will enable you to cook over an open fire without the use of utensils.
After eating the delicious results we will turn our attention to the humble wood pigeon.
Plucking and jointing, or the speedier “rip and flip” method will give us a supply of breast meat to bring to the fire. This time we will be using traditional cast iron blackware for cooking over the fire. Again, tasting the fruits of your labour is a pleasant requirement.
Bring snacks and lunch to complement the prepared game. We will have a kettle on the fire and plenty of brew making kit.
On site wild camping is available by arrangement for those attending the spoon carving course on the following day.
- Activity Grade:Easy
- Ages:Minimum age 12 years.
- Suitability:Suitable for beginners
- Time:10:00am – 4:30pm
- Where to meet:Whinlatter Visitors Centre (
- What to wear:Check our Kit Lists
- Price: £60
- All children under 18yrs must be accompanied by an adult.
- Availability:Please use our availability calendar below, if you can’t find a date that suits you please give us a call!