Great Glen Canoe Trail
This classic voyage of the Caledonian Canal and it’s lochs encompasses the true nature of a canoe expedition, and takes us on vast open lochs, calm canals, and winding rivers.
- A 5 day cross-Scotland journey, from the foothills of Ben Nevis, to the mystical waters of Loch Ness.
- This classic voyage encompasses the true nature of a canoe expedition, and takes us on vast open lochs, calm canals, and winding rivers.
- Camping is remote and wild. We will make camp alongside the lochs, cook on the open fire and sleep under tarps or in tents, under the stars.
- Fishing is also allowed on the expedition!
Included in cost: All specialist equipment and instruction. On the expedition all food and drinks will be provided. Also included – your last night’s accommodation in a hotel, evening meal (drinks will not be included in this) and breakfast the following morning. Transport back to start point.
Dividing Scotland from the West Coast near Fort William to the East Coast at Inverness, the Great Glen is a natural land fault holding four lochs and joined together by the canal engineered by Thomas Telford.
Our journey begins at Neptune’s staircase near Fort William and continues along sections of meandering tree lined canal, through into Loch Lochy, Loch Oich and the mighty Loch Ness (which itself is over 20 miles long) before reaching the finishing point some 60 miles later in Inverness.
Along the route are portages to be done around loch gates and if the water levels are good there is an option of descending some short river sections.There is usually an opportunity to make progress under sail, fish for your supper and also a chance of seeing Nessie!
Click on the following link for an Example Expedition Menu
- Meet at Neptune’s staircase, Banavie, near Fort William on Sunday at 9.30 am.
- 5 days paddling from Sunday – Thursday. Wild camping in the evenings.
- On Thursday evening, we will be staying in hotel accommodation in Banavie to celebrate the end of our journey across Scotland.
- We will depart for home the following morning (Friday) after eating a hearty breakfast!
Regarding payment, we only require a 25% deposit to be paid on booking, and the remaining balance is be paid 3/4 weeks before the trip departure date.
Once clients have booked, we send a payment invoice receipt accordingly, email a recommended kit list ( some items of equipment we can provide), finalise/confirm meeting instructions, and advise on transport options too.
Hope you can join us!
- Activity Grade:Moderate / Difficult
- Ages:Minimum age 18 years.
- Suitability:Suitable for beginners
- Time:Sunday 5th – 10th May 2019.
- Where to meet:
- What to wear:Check our Kit Lists
- Price:£555 per person
- Availability:Please use our availability calendar below, if you can’t find a date that suits you please give us a call!