Loch Shiel Canoe Expedition
A wilderness canoeing treasure – you’ll paddle through extremely dramatic, rugged and wild scenery.
- Loch Shiel is situated amongst dramatic scenery on the west coast of Scotland about 20 miles west of Fort William in the highlands of Scotland.
- The River Shiel is a perfect beginner’s river on which to practice skills and manoeuvres before reaching its end as it pours into the sea.
- There are also small secluded tributaries which give an opportunity for excursions away from the main loch and to get to grips with moving water.
- Fishing is allowed on this trip.
Included in cost: All specialist equipment and instruction. On the expedition all food and drinks will be provided. Also included – your last night’s accommodation in a hotel, evening meal (drinks will not be included in this) and breakfast the following morning. Transport back to start point.
Loch Shiel is located west of Fort William in the highlands of Scotland and It is approx 20km in length and runs roughly north-south in direction and has been relatively unchanged since it was carved out by glaciers 10,000 years ago.
The main town on Loch Shiel is Glenfinnan which is famous for the Glenfinnan Monument and also for the Glenfinnan Viaduct which is the one used in the Harry Potter films by the Hogworts train!
This is a classic canoe journey. We start from Glenfinnan and paddle through extremely dramatic, rugged and wild scenery on Loch Shiel before descending the River Shiel and then out into the sea loch of Loch Moidart, where our journey ends.
Loch Shiel is a haven for wild life – Black throated divers, deer and majestic golden eagles can all be seen here and the River Shiel is home to otters.
Click on the following link for an Example Expedition Menu
- Meet at visitor centre car park at Glenfinnan near Fort William at 9.30am.
- 3 days paddling. 2 nights wild camping in the evenings.
- On the last evening, we will be staying in hotel accommodation in Glenfinnan to celebrate the end of our journey.
- We will depart for home the following morning after a hearty breakfast!
Regarding payment, we only require a 25% deposit to be paid on booking, and the remaining balance is be paid 3/4 weeks before the trip departure date.
Once clients have booked, we send a payment invoice receipt accordingly, email a recommended kit list ( some items of equipment we can provide), finalise/confirm meeting instructions, and advise on transport options too.
Hope you can join us!
- Activity Grade:Moderate
- Ages:from 16 years
- Suitability:Suitable for beginners
- Time: Sunday 1st – 5th September 2019
- Where to meet: Glen Finnan Visitors Center (Click for map)
- What to wear:Check our Kit Lists
- All children under 18yrs must be accompanied by an adult.
- Availability:Please use our availability calendar below, if you can’t find a date that suits you please give us a call!